"The Wind of My Soul" by Peggy Hill - Click the Pic!

"The Wind of My Soul" by Peggy Hill - Click the Pic!
Click the Pic to get the book!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

tipi time

When we officially feel that winter is behind us we put up our tipi. So now is the time and I am truly looking forward to seeing the lodge on our property. It gives me a feeling of my connection to the earth and to my life. We have had a tipi for over 15 years. We have been thru three different ones during that time and this is the 4th season for this one. It is getting weathered and some of the incredible painting is getting a little less vibrant, like our lives. The door flap finally met its end last summer during a violent wind storm, it was almost 10 years old. So we will need to get a new door flap made. The tipi tells a story and like our bodies houses a spirit. The spirit is part of this Turtle Island and part of my husband's ancestry. I realize most indigenous people on this continent did not live in tipis but that doesn't change the magic for me. The story on the outside of our tipi tells of connection, rebirth, family, visions and a trail of one man as well as many people who came before and will come after. Many hands went into painting this tipi and many hearts have quietly sat inside watching as small flames glow, listening to flute and family stories. It is so absolutely contrary to the modern world of computers, cell phones, video games, distractions, lists, things to do and processed living. It is truly an organic experience, so as I drive up to my big square house past the tipi, my priorities must become rearranged. Like driving past a farmers market when you pull into McDonalds, you are made aware that your body needs healthy organic food. Your spirit needs healthy organic food also. If you don't have a tipi... then take a walk and smell the roses!

No comments:

Post a Comment